Puran Poli | Boli is a classic traditional sweet generally we make during Ugadi (Telugu New year), Aavani avittam and Diwali | Bogi pandigai. This Poli is made by stuffing Channa Dal puran.
It's bit time consuming as it requires dal soaking time 30 minutes and dough resting time 4 to 5 hours.
However its absolutely worth the waiting time...it tastes delicious.
I remember that i tried this when i was studying in college but messed up with consistency of puran by pressure cooking the dal till it turns mushy so after that this is the first time i tried and it came out perfect and delicious.
Maida - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - 2 pinch
Ghee & Oil - 1/2 cup
Channa Dal - 3/4 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Cardamon - 4 nos.
Sugar - 2 teaspoon
Coconut - 1 tablespoon (grated)
- Take Maida, Salt and Turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add enough water, oil and ghee mixture and make a soft dough.
- Dry roast channa dal and keep it soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- Boil the Channa dal, until it turns soft. (see the center picture for consistency).
- Drain the remaining water from the dal.
- Once the dal comes down to room temperature grind it to powder.
- Add cardamon and sugar in a mixer and grind it finely.
- Dry roast grated coconut.
- Keep both cardamon and coconut along with grinded dal.
- Grate the jaggery / Powder jaggery and keep it with this.
- Mix Cardamon, Coconut, Dal and Jaggery and make it into a ball (puran).
- Take the outer covering dough made with maida and make a small round equal portion.
- Take a plantain leaf and coat it with ghee.
- Pat the dough made with maida in the leaf and keep the puran in center and cover it.
- Pat the covered dough gently into a flat bread with hand, apply ghee if required.
- Heat a tawa and cook the flat bread | Poli both the side by drizzling ghee.
- Now the hot and soft Poli is ready to serve.