Mutton / Aatu Thala Curry / Lamb Head Curry, is a delicious and authentic Tamilnadu Style recipe.
It’s such a flavorful recipe, people will get tempted while cooking itself…I prepared this recipe when I was in my Parents-In-Law home; they enjoyed this curry with hot steamed rice for lunch and with Tiffen for dinner too. I have added the chilly powder as per our taste, you can adjust it to your family taste.This can be served with Rice, any Variety Rice, Kerala Parota, Chappathi / Roti or Idly/ Dosai.
Mutton (Head Portion) – 1 Full Head (750 gms)
Gingelly Oil / Sesame Seed Oil – 2 tablespoon
Bay Leaf - 1
Cinnamon stick – 1
Clove – 2
Curry leaves – few
Shallots – 10 nos.
Mutton Masala – 4 teaspoon (Ready Made)
Coriander Powder – 4 teaspoon
Chilly Powder – 2 teaspoon
To Dry Roast and Grind:
Shallot – 20 Nos.
Ginger and Garlic – (finely chopped) 4 teaspoon
Dry Red Chilly – 3 Nos.
Coconut (grated) – Handful
Fennel Seeds – 2 teaspoon
Poppy Seeds – 2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – Generous Pinch
- Wash and Marinate Mutton pieces with turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Chop 10 Shallots finely and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the ingredients given under “To Dry Roast and Grind”.
- Once the dry roasted ingredients reach room temperature, grind it in mixer and keep it aside.
- Heat a Pressure Pan or Pressure Cooker, Pour sesame seed oil and season it with bay leaf, cloves, cinnamons and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped Shallots and sauté until it turns golden brown.
- Add Chilly Powder, Coriander Powder and Mutton Masala in the pan and sauté it till it mixes well.
- Add the Mutton, required water and mix well.
- Add the grinded masala, salt and mix it well.
- Cover and pressure cook till 6 whistles.
- Now the Mutton Thala Curry / Kuzhambu is ready to get served.